Though data has been somewhat hard to come by, and the data we’ve received hasn’t been 100% accurate, below are the approximations regarding those sentenced under the PRR as of March, 2019 (13,824 per Florida Department of Corrections):
Total sentenced under PRR since May 30, 1997: Approximately 14,000
Total currently incarcerated under PRR: Approximately 8,000
Number of individuals currently incarcerated with life sentences: Approximately 2,000
Majority offense category for life sentences: Robbery with a gun/deadly weapon
PRR’s by race: 58% black, 38% white; Hispanic, Native American and “all other” all 2% or less.
Plea Questionnaire Findings
In 2020, FPFU sent out approximately 500 questionnaires to random PRR individuals incarcerated in several of Florida’s correctional institutions regarding if they had been offered a plea deal/bargain. Of those 500 questionnaires, 204 were returned with findings noted below:
- A total of 129 of respondents, or 63%, were offered a plea.
- Of the total of 129 plea respondents, 84% (109) were black, 15% (19) were white and 1% (1) were Hispanic (1).
- The average plea offered was 18 years with 100 of those respondents ultimately being given a life sentence.
- Of those 129 plea respondents who provided their score sheet (45), the average lowest possible sentence that could have been given under the usual guidelines is 10 years.
- Of those 129 plea respondents who provided their score sheet which included the victim injury section (44), in 80% of the cases (35) there was zero victim injury, in 11% (5) there was slight victim injury, in 7% (3) there was moderate victim injury and in 2% (1) there was severe victim injury.
- A total of 75 respondents, or 37%, were not offered a plea.
- Of the 75 respondents who were not offered a plea, 83% (62) were black, 16% (12) were white, and 1% (1) were Hispanic.
- Of the 75 respondents not offered a plea who provided their score sheet (25), the average lowest possible sentence under the normal guidelines was 9.5 years.
- Of the 75 respondents not offered a plea who provided their score sheet which included the victim injury section (26), in 81% (21) of the cases there was zero victim injury, in 8% (2) there was slight victim injury, in 3% (1) there was moderate victim injury, and in 8% (2) there was severe victim injury.
- Of the 75 respondents who were not offered a plea, 97% (73) received life sentences and 3% (2) received 30 years.